Savannah Starr is falling for fall! Fall leaves covered with Cool2Cast are a beautiful fashion statement for your fall wardrobe. Paint the Cool2Cast the color of your choice and finish with silver (or gold) leafing and you have a fabulous ring and earrings. Watch Savannah’s super cool Silver Leaf Earring YouTube video tutorial.
Fall silk leaves
Plastic zip top bag and water
Small palette knife
Gift card or cardboard squeegee
Acrylic paint and brush
Jewelry findings – ring, fish hook earrings
Silver leaf and adhesive
Soft brush (to burnish silver leaf)
1. Remove plastic from back of leaf.
2. Lay leaf on wax paper, right side up.
3. Mix small batch of Cool2Cast according to package directions.
4. Let set for about 5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
5. Snip one small corner from bottom of bag.
6. Pour Cool2Cast over leaf until entire leaf is covered. (If you are creating more than one leaf, be sure to pour Cool2Cast over all leaves at this time because you cannot save a mixed batch.)
7. Use palette knife to lift leaf to move it to a clean spot on wax paper.
8. Slightly shake wax paper to help Cool2Cast to flatten on leaf.
9. Let set for about 5 minutes.
10. Use card to mark veins in Cool2Cast.
11. Let dry completely. (Note: To create earrings, cut wire approximately 3″ longer that size of leaf from top to bottom. Shape one end of wire into eye hook. Bend other end at bottom of leaf, bend up excess and twist to create a pretty wire leaf stem. After you have poured your Cool2Cast over the silk leaf, place the wire into the Cool2Cast and leave undisturbed until dry.)
12. Lift dried leaf from wax paper. Following pattern from back side of leaf (the silk flower leaf), use craft knife to carefully scrape away excess Cool2Cast to create crisp pattern line of leaf.
13. Paint Cool2Cast leaf with acrylic paint. Let dry.
14. Brush adhesive onto front of leaf leaving small areas with no adhesive. Let adhesive dry until clear (it will still be very sticky.)
15. Lay silver leaf into adhesive and use soft brush to burnish away any excess leaf. (Save excess silver leaf by placing back into original package.)
16. Glue ring finding onto back of finished leaf or add jump ring and fish hook earring hooks to create earrings.