Ready to gear up for work? Spellbinders Media Mixage Aluminum Sheets are nice and thick – they really hold an embossed pattern beautifully. The Creative Cogs design is a natural fit for the smooth, shiny aluminum and the rough texture of the silver paint. This desktop organizer set would be a sleek addition to anyone’s workspace. Watch my YouTube video tutorial where I share my tips and techniques!
Spellbinders Grand Calibur Die-cutting Machine
Spellbinders Media Mixage Aluminum Sheets
Spellbinders 3D M-Bossabilities Creative Cogs Folder
Unfinished wood desktop organizers
Silver craft paint
Black paint marker
Black duct tape (optional)
Black solvent inkpad (optional)
Metallic silver paper (optional)
1. Sand all the wood surfaces, then prime with a coat of white gesso; let dry.
2. Blend silver paint with gloss medium (50/50) and paint the surfaces with the first coat using a large, flat brush in long strokes. The medium will add shine to the paint and also help to retain the brush stroke texture; let dry.
3. Use a short, stiff stencil brush to pounce a second coat of silver paint (100%) on top of the first coat. The stipple effect mixes nicely with the brushstrokes to make the wood look like scratched up metal; let dry.
4. Color the edges of the wood with a black paint marker.
5. Emboss several aluminum sheets through the Grand Calibur with the Creative Cogs design. Decide which areas of the wood you want to cover with tiled, embossed aluminum. Trace and trim out the shapes you need from the aluminum a tiny bit smaller than the surface area to avoid exposing any sharp metal edges.
6. Glue the aluminum pieces into position – press and rub firmly, then place a small weighted object on top while the glue dries.
7. Glue metal embellishments as desired.
- Ink the raised areas of the embossing with black
- Cover sides with black duct tape instead of silver paint
- Cover sides with silver metallic cardstock instead of silver paint