EcoHeidi Borchers has come up with a clever way to upcycle a lampshade. Cover it with fabric strips and transform it into a bowl. Now that’s a cute DIY craft!
Watch EcoHeidi’s Lampshade Bowl YouTube video tutorial!
Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Permanent Dry Cleanable Fabric Adhesive
Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Spray-On Fusible Web
Lampshade (size of your choice)
Hammer (to remove inside lampshade wire frame)
Cardboard (or matboard) to create bottom piece for bowl
Pen or pencil
1. Remove inside wire frame (the part that goes over the lightbulb) from lampshade. I just used my hammer to tap it out from the inside of my lampshade.
2. Determine which end of lampshade that you want to be the bottom of your bowl. Place that end onto cardboard and trace around with pen.
3. Cut along pattern line and slip circle into lampshade to determine if size and shape are correct. Remove from lampshade.
4. Cut 1 piece of fabric approximately 1″ larger than cardboard circle.
5. Cut 1 piece of fabric approximately 1/4″ smaller than cardboard circle.
6. In a well-ventilated area, spray one side of cardboard circle with Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Spray-On Fusible Web. Place face down onto wrong side of large fabric circle.
7. With scissors, clip fabric at 1″ intervals around entire fabric circle. This will help to ease fabric around circle in next step.
8. To glue excess fabric to circle, spray around outside edge of cardboard (and fabric) with Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Spray-On Fusible Web. Press excess fabric into Fusible Web.
9. Spray wrong side of smaller fabric circle with Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Spray-On Fusible Web. Place onto back of cardboard. You will now have a circle covered on both sides with fabric.
10. To cover lampshade, rip strips of fabric approximately 1-1/4″ wide. The number of strips will be determined by the size of your lampshade.
11. Iron ripped strips flat.
12. Apply a 1″ line of Aleene’s Fabric Fusion Adhesive along top edge of lampshade and press end of first strip into glue. Begin wrapping strip around and around shade, overlapping approximately 1/2″ until you come to the end of the strip. Glue end of strip in place on lampshade.
13. Continue to add and glue fabric strips until all of lampshade is covered in fabric.
14. Slip fabric covered cardboard circle inside and press into bottom of lampshade. If desired, glue in place.
15. Create bow from fabric strip and glue in place on top edge of bowl. Use clothespin to hold in place while glue dries.