EcoHeidi Borchers transforms a thrift store high heel into a super cool mixed media shoe. Covered with hand-colored and embossed tissue papers, this shoe makes an artsy door stop.
Watch EcoHeidi’s Mixed Media Shoes YouTube video tutorial!
Aleene’s Decoupage – Gloss
Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
High heel shoe
Papers – book pages, handpainted tissue, gold metallic tissue, corrugated cardboard, embossed tissue, paper shreds
Decorated novelty birds (dipped in Cool2Cast – see instructions and video here)
Acrylic paint mixed with water (for paper shreds nest) (or thinned alcohol inks)
Spray bottle(s) for acrylic paint – or- use pre-mixed spray fabric paints
Beads – micro, small and medium (to glue onto shoe)
1. Tear book pages into strips approximately 1″ x 3″.
2. Brush Decoupage onto back of strip and onto shoe. Place strip onto shoe and brush coat of Decoupage over page. Continue until the entire shoe is covered with book strips. Let dry.
3. Tear hand-painted tissue into pieces and use Decoupage glue to glue them in place over shoe. If desired, leave some of the book page words showing through. Let dry.
4. Watch Heidi’s video to learn how to decorate the bird(s).
5. Place wax paper on work surface. Sprinkle shreds on wax paper. Spray paper shreds desired colors. Let dry.
6. Shape paper shreds into nest. Glue in place in shoe.
7. Glue bird(s) into nest(s).
8. Decorate brick with decoupage papers. Let dry.
9. Glue shoe onto brick. Let dry.